FURA Mentor of the Year
About the Award
Nominate a Faculty Member
- This award recognizes one outstanding faculty mentor from across the state of Florida each year.
- The award is based on student nominations from among FURC presenters and is presented at FURC each year.
- Nomination letters are evaluated for evidence of the 10 Salient Practices of Undergraduate Research Mentors.
Nominate your mentor
(Applications open Fall 2021)
To nominate your undergraduate research mentor, you must:
- Be a currently enrolled undergraduate at a college or university in the state of Florida
- Be planning to present your work at FURC
- Have worked with the faculty member you are nominating for at least 2 semesters prior to Spring 2021
Eligible faculty are full-time professors, lecturers, or instructors at your institution.
Full instructions and eligibility are available with the application.
2021 FURA Mentor of the Year:
Dr. Jessica Siltberg-Liberles
Florida International University
“Working with undergraduate researchers is fun and energizing!” says Dr. Liberles, Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences, FIU. “Undergraduate researchers in my lab are often also assistants in my classes where they take the role as peer mentors. As peer mentors and researchers, they develop their skills in research and communication. They gain confidence and skill. The synergy between the teaching team and the research team creates a bustling, interactive, and productive team where the majority is a diverse group of undergraduate researchers. Having undergraduate mentees on the teaching and research team is empowering.”
2020 FURA Mentor of the Year:
Dr. Luciana Garbayo
University of Central Florida